forum.ireksoftware.com

Discussion board of IrekSoftware.com products.

NOTE: This forum is READ ONLY

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 2 posts ] 
AuthorMessage
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:34 am 

Just wanted to pass along some info regarding using Tray Helper with webmail services such as Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. Most email programs won't connect with these accounts unless you have the costly "premium" plan. There are other programs though, that allow you to do this. They're a little hard to configure and set up, but once they are up and running, you'll be glad you don't have to check with those sites every day.

My newest find is FreePOPs, freeware. It wasn't easy for me to figure out how to use it, since the setup really is in the email client or checker, not the FreePOPs program itself. Tray Helper makes the setup very easy. The quickie directions are this: for the Username, enter your entire name and domain (123@abc.com), POP3 server is "localhost" without quotations, SMTP (outgoing mail) is usually your ISP (maybe it's "mail.myISP.com" or similar), and the last part is Port number, which is 2000 (most times it's set to 110 for incoming mail). In Tray Helper, it's found on the "More Settings" page, conveniently enough, but on some email programs you have to dig for it. Your password and all the other settings should be the same.

I am a registered user of Web2Pop, another worthy shareware program. I find the program updates to be a little slow, depending on your provider, and it's been hard to set up on my computer, even though I've used it successfully on another comp (kind of frustrating). Its setup is similar to that outlined above, but its port is 110 and shouldn't need changing. Username again is the full name and domain (123@abc.com), and POP3 server is "web2pop" without quotes.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure it will if you're like me and have several email addresses at several different sites. I'll be glad to help with any questions.

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing!

[ 2 posts ]